How to Pass the Georgia Real Estate Exam for the First Time?
If you have been looking for information on how to get a real estate license (sales or broker) in Georgia, then read this article!
I have the unique qualification of not only being a Mississippi real estate licensee for the last twenty years, but I have also worked for years with other states during my employment at the Mississippi Real Estate Commission. Georgia has a full reciprocity agreement with Mississippi, so I have the necessary insight into the licensing process.
In this guide, I will let you in on the best way you can pass the Georgia real estate exam. This is just half of the battle, though, as you also need to know all the requirements for getting a real estate license in Georgia.
How Do I Study for the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
Real estate education providers approved by the Georgia Real Estate Commission (GREC) usually give classes online and in the classroom. The student has the choice of which method they prefer to take.
Whether online or in the classroom, take notes as you go through the class. Be sure to note important laws and rules you’ll need to know, whether for the exam or for practicing real estate after. Review the material regularly until you are very comfortable with it before taking the exam.
If you are in doubt which option to choose — online or in-person courses — I suggest that you find your answer in another guide — Real Estate Classes Online vs Classroom. It discusses all pros and cons of each type and what situations and types of personality each option works better for.
What to Study for the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
The following is a great list of where to get an idea of what is on the real estate exam:
- the License Law on the Georgia Real Estate Commission website (for state topics)
- the Modern Real Estate Practice Book (for national topics)
- the e-book from your real estate school
5 Helpful Tips for Passing the Georgia Real Estate Exam
- Use the content outline found in the candidate information bulletin to know what subjects to study from the three sources above.
- Learn all you can about the topics listed in the content outline. By having a thorough understanding of each topic, you should be able to correctly answer any question about the topic.
- Remember the questions are multiple choice. If the correct answer doesn’t readily pop out to you, use the process of elimination to arrive at the best answer.
- Also look for keywords in questions such as “must” and “always.” Pace yourself through the exam, and read each question again AFTER you think you have made the best selection to make sure you read the question correctly and chose the best answer.
- Also consider taking the cram course provided through the MLS prior to taking the state exam. It could serve as a good “test run” and help with test anxiety.
For additional tips, you can also read another article from our expert realtor — Kristina Morales — who shares her insight on how to pass a real estate exam on the first try.
What Is the Cost of Taking the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
The exam fee is $121.00. However, there is also a $25 handling fee applied in case of a declined credit card transaction.
Is the Georgia Real Estate Exam Hard?
How Many Questions Are on the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
When taking the Georgia real estate salesperson exam, you can expect 152 multiple choice questions.
When taking the Georgia broker exam, you will have 2 situational questions and with a list of options. You will need to choose the best option for the situation.
How Many Math Questions Are on the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
There are as many as 13 math questions on the Georgia salesperson exam.
What Score Do You Need to Pass the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
To pass the salesperson exam, you need a score of at least 75% on both the national and state portions of the exam.
The passing score for the broker exam is at least 70% on both the national and state portions of the exam.
What Happens if You Fail the Real Estate Exam in Georgia?
The score report you will be given by AMP (the testing company) after taking your exam will be detailed with how many questions you got right and wrong. It will also have instructions on re-taking your exam.
You will be able to reschedule your exam within 5 business days from the day you contact to request an exam.
How Many Times Can You Fail and Retake the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
You can take the exam three times in one year.
How Long Do You Have to Wait to Retake the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
You only have to wait 24 hours before retaking the exam. You can schedule after 24 hours for any time after.
Do You Have to Pay to Retake the Georgia Real Estate Exam?
AMP charges $121.00 for each exam, including a retake.
I hope this article helps you get your real estate license, so you can get started on working your way to becoming one of the best real estate agents in Georgia. Learn what to do after passing a real estate exam to start your agent career from another guide in this blog.
About the author:
Farrah Cox holds a MS real estate broker license and has been licensed since 2000. She has 14 years experience handling initial licensing with the MS Real Estate Commission and collaborating with other states’ real estate commissions, including Georgia.